Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Ashes

I wait nervously. Today begins the five most important days of this year. If we can win, if we can take home that little earn like we so deserve, that we all so desire, then life will be so, so sweet...

 But if we fail, heartbreak awaits, devastation is too feeble a word to describe how I will be feeling come the days after. Alas, I will eventually get over it. But memories of 2005 still haunt me as I walk down dark halls, my heart is still heavy as I dream of dispair and depletion, tears still well up in my eyes as I recall Andrew Flintoff consoling Brett Lee at Edgbaston, I still close my eyes when I see Michael Vaughan hold up that little urn at The Oval, as red and white showers of confetti rain down upon the Old Enemy's celebration. I still wish that those 25 days could be written out of history...

If we let the Ashes slip from our grasp once more, then memories of 2009 will eventually do the same. Winning the Ashes is everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment