Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A Hobby of Mine

Fishkeeping is as much a science as it is an art, and I find an intricate aquarium more captivating than any book or form of hi-tech entertainment. I certainly find running and maintaining a healthy aquarium just as rewarding as watching the behaviour and interactions of the fish species within.

These are my three current tanks:

1. "Guyana Blackwater"




Volume: 200L/52 US Gallon

Flora: Amazon Sword (Echinodorus amazonicus/Echinodorus sp.), Crypt (Cryptocoryne sp.), Pygmy Chain Sword (Echinodorus tenellus), Vallis (Vallisneria sp.), Ambulia (Limnophila sessiliflora), Water Sprite (Ceratopteris sp.), Java Moss (Vesicularia dubyana/Taxiphyllum barbieri), Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus)

Fauna: Freshwater Angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare), Pristella/X-ray Tetra (Pristella maxillaris), Bristlenose Plecostomus (Ancistrus temminckii)

My Guyana Blackwater biotope is my largest and most recent setup, and my pride and joy! As its name suggests, this tank represents a small blackwater creek or pool of Guyana, northern South America. To recreate the conditions of this ecosystem, I have subdued the lighting and water-flow in the aquarium, and I use Indian almond leaves to replicate the tea-stained colour and slightly acidic conditions of a blackwater pool. Of course, all of the fish species (and most of the plants) are native to South America too.

I decided to keep the stocking of this tank simple, as I find a simplicity and neatness make for a much more aesthetically pleasing aquarium than one that is heavily stocked and busy. The current stock are four juvenile angelfish, which are the heros of the tank and from which I hope to acquire a breeding pair (or two!). With them are a shoal of pristella tetras and a single bristlenose catfish. With a 100% survival rate in three months so far, I'm glad that to have been able to put all my years of fishkeeping practice to good use and give the project a very successful start.

Ancistrus temminckii

Pterophyllum scalare


Pristella maxillaris

The view from my bed

2. "Community"


Volume: 110L/29 US Gallon

Flora: Vallis (Vallisneria sp.), Ambulia (Limnophila sessiliflora), Java Moss (Vesicularia dubyana/Taxiphyllum barbieri), Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus)

Fauna: Kribensis (Pelvicachromis pulcher), Emperor Tetra (Nematobrycon palmeri), Harlequin Rasbora (Trigonostigma heteromorpha), Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon innesi), Kuhli Loach (Pangio kuhlii), Bristlenose Plecostomus (Ancistrus temminckii)

I have had this community setup for six years, whereby it has gone through many changes in terms of look and stocking. I picked it up on a roadside verge in 2006, and hastily went about starting my fishkeeping hobby - and so with this tank lie the many a past mistakes of a rookie fishkeeper. From terrible stocking choices to the disastrous attempts at growing live plants, unsuccessful breeding efforts and countless suicidal fish; this tank has seen it all! However, after many years of trial and error I have fine-tuned my fishkeeping enough to develop a healthy and fun community aquarium.

This 29 gallon is currently home to a breeding pair of kribensis cichilids; two parents still with a lot to learn (they have eaten their first few spawns!). There is also a shoal of emperor tetras, along with a couple of neon tetras and harlequin rasboras, long-term survivors from previous communities gone. Rounding off the stock is one bristlenose pleco who keeps the algae levels down very effectively, and four kuhli loaches, who have been with me for around four years. One day I hope to raise a batch or two of kribensis fry, and hopefully make a cheeky profit while I'm at it!

 Pelvicachromis pulcher (Male)

 Pelvicachromis pulcher (Female)

Pangio kuhlii

3. "Honours Desktop"


Volume: 15.5L/4 US Gallon

Flora: Java Moss (Vesicularia dubyana/Taxiphyllum barbieri), Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus)

Fauna: Siamese Fighting Fish (Betta splendens),  Western Blue-spot/Swan River Goby (Pseudogobius olorum)

I got this tank in the middle of last year while I was in the midst of my honours degree; I had this little setup on my desk to add a bit of interest to what was my otherwise bleak office. Severus, the Siamese fighting fish, was my wily companion during those long days and nights spent writing my thesis, and he's still going strong today! Also in the tank is an Australian native Blue-spot goby, which was collected by my friend Syngeon during sampling up on the Gnangara Mound. This tank has also been home to a few other native fish and invertebrate species, including gobys and glass shrimp, which have all come and gone since. In the future I plan to turn this tank into a native Western Australian-wetland setup featuring gobys and a plethora of invertebrates. 

 Pseudogobius olorum - A true survivor

Betta splendens - "Severus"

Thanks for reading! 


2 comments:

  1. Amazing setups, Chris! Your Guyana Blackwater tank sounds very sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good ol Severus! Good to see he is still pulling of the 'ruffled' look!

    ReplyDelete