Friday, September 5, 2014

Southwest WA "Forrest Creek" Biotope

Those who know me know that I live and breath fish. I could spend hours just reading about them, or mucking around with my aquariums, or studying them in the wild and exploring their natural habitat. The latter is probably why I'm fascinated by the idea of biotope aquaria, and what gave me the idea to set up this little fish tank.

My take on a southwest Western Australia forrest creek biotope

I really thought my 200 litre Amazonian aquarium would be enough to satisfy my fishy addiction. It turns out it wasn't. In fairness, this latest tank is basically a puddle at 60cm x 30cm x 30 cm (45 litres), so I figured it doesn't really count. Besides, this was going to be a highly educational project! My aim was to replicate a section of a forrest creek that I might find in my native southwest Western Australia, while stocking fish that are endemic to the region, and most importantly, of course,  to do it on a budget!

The spectacular southwest, on which this biotope is based
The tank

When choosing a fish tank, I would usually go for the biggest affordable (large tanks mean more consistent water quality, and lower maintenance). However, as I have previously learned, big tanks are harder to aquascape, much more expensive, and aren't always appropriate for biotopes such as this one. So, when I spotted a secondhand 45 litre tank (including stand) on Gumtree for just $100, I knew this was just the tank for me. For the type of fish I was planning to stock, anything larger seemed unnecessary, and I couldn't pass up such a bargain!


The hardscape

Many creeks in the southwest of WA are found trickling through areas of dense Jarrah and Marri forrest, and so the habitat I wanted to represent would feature a sandy bottom, lots of sunken woody debris, and leaf litter. I planned to have the water be slightly stained with tannins and lit dimly, with lots of dark, shady areas.

To start off, I collected some branchy driftwood from local creeks and wetlands. I was careful to soak and clean each piece thoroughly to get rid of any nasties (dirt, bacteria, parasites etc.), and I played around with the position of the wood until I was happy (a long and drawn out process for a perfectionist like myself!).

For the substrate, I used an undulating layer of Richgro playsand (washed thoroughly), on top of which sits a detritus layer of small twigs and Indian almond leaves (available from all good aquarium retailers). To add to the authenticity of the biotope, I cut the leaves into thin, crescent-shaped pieces, imitating eucalyptus leaves, which you will find littering the bed of pretty much any Australian creek (real eucalyptus leaves release oils and toxins, which can be leathal to fish).



"Eucalyptus" leaves add authenticity to the biotope.
The plants


Naturally, the growth of aquatic plants is limited in southwest forrest creeks, as little sunlight penetrates the tall canopy. Instead, emergent and riparian sedges and rushes, such as those from the Junkus genus, dominate. In the end, considering I wanted to the tank to be dim and shady, I decided against the use of native live plants, such as Vallisneria, Azolla and Potamogeton. Instead I opted for a couple of sedge-like silk 'plants', which I used to represent flooded riparian vegetation.


The hardware


Since this was a very simple setup, only the most basic of hardware was required to get the biotope up and running. For filtration, I decided to go with the Fluval Aquaclear 20, rated for around 76 litres/20 US gallons. Fortunately, the temperate climate of the southwest means the tank doesn't need a heater, which is a big money-saving bonus. I also didn't need bother with high tech lighting, in fact, for the dim effect I wanted for the tank, all I needed was a simple 3.5 watt LED strip (found on Ebay), which just clips on to the side of the glass. Too easy!

The fish

A wild pygmy perch displaying breeding colours
Five species of minnow, four species of perch, one catfish species (freshwater cobbler) and the fascinating salamander fish, Lepidogalaxias salamandroides, inhabit the creeks and wetlands of the southwest. However, only one species, the western pygmy perch, Nannoperca vittata, is really appropriate for this particular setup, given the tank's small size.

Found in a range of habitats across the southwest, from sluggish swamps and wetlands to clear, flowing creeks, western pygmy perch reside in the shallows, usually amongst aquatic vegetation, feeding mainly on invertebrates from the creekbed.

Western pygmy perch are a perfect fit for aquarium life, being small (max. length: 8 cm), hardy and easily obtainable from local pond and aquarium retailers. They wont cost a small mortgage either at around $4 - 6 each. The perch exhibit an attractive mottled silver-grey colouration, while males display an enigmatic red-orange stripe on each flank when in breeding season. In the wild, pygmy perch can tolerate a temperature rage between 0 - 30 degrees C, and therefore don't require a heated aquarium. In fact, they make an ideal alternative for goldfish in a coldwater tank.

Playful pygmy perch

There isn't much information available for the behavioural characteristics of pygmy perch in the aquarium, however in my observations I've found them to be very active, inquisitive, and highly adaptable to aquarium life. The three currently residing in this tank are constantly picking at the decor for microscopic bits and pieces, and they feed eagerly on the flake and frozen bloodworms that I offer.

Future thoughts


Eventually, I would like to add some glass shrimp, Paratya australiensis, which are found across the temperate climes of southern Australia, including the southwest of WA. Shrimp are fascinating to watch, while also being excellent tank 'cleaners', combing the surface of glass, wood and substrate, picking up leftover food, algae and other microscopic organisms. The perfect foil for the humble pygmy perch.


Overall, I'm really happy with the way the tank has turned out. In terms of size, the little 45 litre/10 gallon is perfect for this biotope and it's inhabitants, and I'm really pleased with the natural(ish) look of the hardscape. Best of all, I managed to do it on a pretty small budget. My favourite thing about this setup is that puts on display some of our amazing native fish, while each day I get to lose myself in a little slice of the beautiful Southwest from the comfort of my own home. 

Thanks for reading!

Step-by-step

A blank canvas: The second hand 10 gallon, cleaned and in position

A small selection of river pebbles were added first to help add some height to the substrate

The Richgro playsand was washed thoroughly before being added, and smoothed over. Building up the sand towards the back and sides of the tank adds depth to the layout

I played around with the positioning of the locally collected wood until I was happy with the layout (or so I thought!). The wood was cleaned and soaked thoroughly prior to use. The tank was then filled, and the filter left running for a week or so to stabilise the system

After installing the new Aquaclear 20 filter and LED lighting, and more rearranging  of the wood, I was finally satisfied with the hardscape. Silk plants and leaf litter were then added to finish of the flooded forrest creek look. Mature filter media was transplanted into the new filter to create an instant cycle, and the pygmy perch were carefully acclimatised. Biotope complete!


What did it cost?

- Tank & stand (Second hand; Gumtree): $100
- Fluval Aquaclear 20 filter (aquariumproducts.com.au): $45
- 3.5 watt LED clip-on light (Ebay): $23
- Silk plants (Ebay): $20
- Richgro Playsand (Bunnings): $8 for 20kg (I only used about a third of that)
- Indian almond leaves (Vebas Aquariums): $10 for a bag of 25 large leaves
- Wood: Free, from local creeks and wetlands
- Pygmy perch (Woodvale Fish and Lilly farm): $18 ($6 each)

Total: $224


1 comment: