Friday, January 18, 2013

The Little Things

"Mithrandir... why the halfling?"
"Saruman believes it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I find that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness, and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? I don't know. Perhaps it is because I am afraid, and he gives me courage"

Today I was asked whether I'd ever want to just move away to a far away country, seeking a new adventurous life in some unknown place. In fact, I've been asked this very same question many times before - am I happy with the current life that I am living? The answer has always been yes, but I have never quite known why. But now I think I have an answer.

I have never wanted to do anything extraordinary. Big, life changing events, and the prospect of an exciting new path has never appealed to me. Like any man I have my hopes and dreams, of course I do. But in the end, I find that is the little things in life that make me happy. Lying around, just talking for hours with those who I love. Breaking out into tear-inducing laughter at a well timed jest with my wonderful workmates. Having a beer or two (and good food) while catching up with old friends. Staying up into the early hours of the morning watching a thrilling cricket match unfold, despite needing to get up early for work the next (or often on the same) morning. Breathing in the crisp air of a cold winters morning under a bright blue sky, listening to the birds sing, and the smell of coffee roasting in the kitchen.

These are the things that really make me happy - not some far off hope or dream that someday my life will be different, but the all of the little things that are happening to me, right now. I know things may be different in the future; but at the moment it is the everyday deeds and ordinary happenings of life that are keeping my doubts and fears at bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment